Friday, February 2, 2018

Loving the Island Life in the Caribbean

I was on the Royal Princess for one month to help out during and after the Christmas and New Year cruises. This was my first time in 4 years where I wasn't in Australia/New Zealand/the South Pacific during the winter. The reason I chose the Caribbean itinerary this winter was to experience some new ports. St. Thomas was the only port I had been to before but the rest of the ports on Royal Princess' December 2017/January 2018 itinerary were new to me. The excitement of seeing a new place is always such a marvelous feeling!


Barbados:
We took a taxi ($5 US/person each way; about 15 minutes) to Harbour Lights in Carlisle Bay.
Christmas 2017 in Barbados...not bad at all!


Martinique:
I walked around and enjoyed the sights of this town including the fortress and the library.
Tip: There is free WiFi available throughout most of downtown Martinique but you have to register for an account to login to their network.
The fortress (and beach in the foreground)
The beautiful architecture of the library
Restaurants and shops


Antigua:
We took a taxi ($5 US/person each way; about 30-45 minutes) to Jolly Beach. This is one of the best beaches I have been to in the Caribbean with its clear light blue waters and soft white sand.
Jolly Beach was so nice I had to come back a second time when the Royal Princess made a stop in Antigua the following cruise.


Grenada:
I took the tour Panoramic Coastal & Country Scenic Drive.
This island is so pretty! The tour van drove us around the island and to many of the famous spots including the beach and resort where celebrities like Oprah are known to stay at when in Grenada. We only made one stop during the tour and that was for refreshments so I didn't take any photos on this tour.


Bonaire:
We took a taxi ($5 US/person each way; about 20 minutes) to Coco Beach. I wasn't overly impressed with this beach so I will try a different beach if I ever get the chance to come back to Bonaire.


Curacao:
I only had 30 minutes to explore Curacao since there was a crew drill in the morning and I had to work in the afternoon. Even with the short time I had here I fell in love with the colourful buildings and was still able to purchase a tank top at one of the shops. I would love to come back and really take the time to enjoy all that Curacao has to offer.
View from the fort. You can walk across the bridge to get to the shops.
The colourful buildings!


St. Kitts:
I went on the 4x4 Island Safari & Beach tour.
This is the only tour in St. Kitts that takes you off-the-beaten path to experience the tropical rain forest. The tour concluded with a 1 hour stop at a beach.


St. Lucia:
There is a beach about a 30 to 45 minute walk from the cruise terminal. Most of the people who were at this beach were either locals or hotel guests.
Note: The restaurants on the beach are only available to hotel guests.


I enjoyed my time on the Royal Princess and in these Caribbean islands so much that I already have plans to come back in March!